February 2, 2015

For the LOVE of CORE Day 2: That Fringe Might Be My Core

Posted in AAC, Augmentative Alternative Communication, Autism, Core Vocabulary at 10:31 AM by kellyvansingel

COREday2

February 2, 2014

In the previous post we discussed core vocabulary (common short words that are used frequently and make up about 80% of the words we usually use to communicate with) while lending a slight nod to the other 20% of output known as fringe vocabulary.   For some emergent and early communicators, fringe may be quite core.  Mags and Gilly know and use many nouns, namely– words for things.  Not just any things, but words for favorite things, for preferred things, for needed things to keep them regulated, they know and use those words really well.

fringe

For example, consider Larry the Cucumber.  He is a favorite Veggie Tale character of one miss Gilly Van Singel.  Toy bugs and frogs are taking over currently, but there was a time when Larry was EVERYTHING.  When reading For the Love of Larrywe can clearly see that a DynaVox symbol button in quickfires for “LARRY” was not fringy in the least,  it was core.  It was raw, raw core.  Typically, nouns of toys, tv shows, household items, .etc would fall into the fringe vocabulary category, but at this time: not this noun, not this toy.

MrPickleWhen working with emergent and early communicators, just remember that for a time somethings fringe are very much important core and key words for getting one’s point across.  Through our mentoring, modeling, and careful teaching we can increase the AAC user’s use of the more common core words over time.  Communication is so much more than requesting. Tomorrow we look at the powerful strategy of modeling language.

~KVS

“For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” ~Jeremiah 29:11.

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: